Monday, June 28, 2010

Fabric Tray Liners

This next idea is so easy, I'm sure that everyone has already thought of it, but I just finally had the chance to try it out for myself and my home.

IMG_3716.jpg

I found this wooden tray at the thrift store last month and had big plans to pop off the handles to use for a frame tray like Patrice had made. But when I got home I realized that the wood was actually a beautiful oak, and I liked that it was round as opposed to a normal rectangular tray, so instead of just scrapping the base, I thought I'd just doctor it up a bit.

IMG_3558.JPG

I considered painting the bottom like on the "Eat" tray that I made last week, but I wanted to keep it versatile since I hadn't decided on a definite location for it in the house. So I decided to make some inserts for it instead.

IMG_3612.JPG

I cut a circle out of some cardboard and then cut a slightly larger circle out of some of this great fabric that matches my bathroom. I made little slits in the fabric and hot glued them down so that the fabric would overlap slightly and lay down flat.

IMG_3613.JPG

I wiped down the tray with some dark walnut stain, which filled in the cracks and brought the whole thing back to life. Then I just popped in my insert for a bathroom version.

IMG_3714.JPG


IMG_3720.jpg

I have wanted to find a way to get the word "Welcome" into my guest room but didn't really want to commit a sign to the decor, and this project provided the perfect alternative. I found a font that I liked on my computer, printed the word "Welcome" in a few different sizes, and tried them on the tray to see which size I liked best. When I found my favorite, I got a neutral muslin fabric, cut it down to slightly larger than a piece of paper, sprayed it lightly with spray adhesive and stuck it to some card stock. I then ran it through the printer and let the printer do the work.

IMG_3518.JPG

I can't even tell you how happy I was with this because there was NO STENCILING! And it turned out perfect!! Can you just imagine the possibilities for printing words and designs directly onto the fabric?! This is exactly what I was going for, but it turned out so well that my mind was just spinning over the possibilities.

[Edited to add: Thanks for the great response over the printing guys! I really don't have any secrets, but I will tell you what I did. I have an HP Inkjet Printer, and as to the settings, I simply made sure that it was not on the "fast print" option, which saves ink by using a lighter layer when printing. I also switched to a "print on card stock" option. Hope this helps!]

IMG_3530.JPG

I wanted the "Welcome" to be off-center so that I could put other things on the tray when people are coming over: decorations, flowers, mints, hand towels, etc.

IMG_3703.JPG

IMG_3711.jpg

What do you think? It was incredibly easy, and another one of those projects that I wish I had done much earlier.

Do you have any trays in your home that could be spruced up with a little fabric?

I'm linking to some amazing parties this week, so stop by to see everyone's summertime projects! I'll see you next week with one last tray project, my favorite one!

E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475.png

47 comments:

Unknown June 27, 2010 at 11:12 PM  

Those are great! Such a fantastic idea!!
{Rebekah}

Unknown June 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

What a great idea! Love it!

Anonymous June 28, 2010 at 12:18 AM  

such a cute idea!!

Melissa June 28, 2010 at 12:54 AM  

Cool idea! Thanks for sharing!!

Melissa June 28, 2010 at 12:54 AM  

Cool idea! Thanks for sharing!!

Blue Artichoke Interiors June 28, 2010 at 2:12 AM  

I love what you did by running the fabric through the printer. I think it was a good choice to make the inserts rather than doing a permanent fix. I get bored quickly so I might make some inserts for a thrift store tray I am going to redo. I love the idea of being able to change the bottom out for holidays and other special occasions too.

Coleen's Corner June 28, 2010 at 6:13 AM  

Beautiful! I didn't know you could run such things through a printer - any precautions?? Great idea, thanks for sharing.1

Patrice June 28, 2010 at 6:28 AM  

I think those look fabulous! I love the first one. And what gorgeous flowers to compliment!

The Autocrat: Haley June 28, 2010 at 6:32 AM  

Love it! Looks really amazing! Another item to add to my list of things that I need to find at a thrift store. LOL Thanks for sharing with us!

Amy June 28, 2010 at 6:53 AM  

Great fabric choices! I love the look of this display!!

Wendy June 28, 2010 at 7:05 AM  

WOW What a transforamtion, this is so cute. I love the welcome. Great job!

Tiffany June 28, 2010 at 7:11 AM  

You never cease to amaze me, Erin! These are gorgeous! And you may have just changed my life by telling me that you can print on fabric! Wow. : )

Love the welcome and the fabric one for your bedroom. I even love what you set on top of the trays. Those pink flowers in that ball jar just make me smile! Thanks for sharing these wonderful ideas!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design June 28, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

Love this Erin! I love using trays!

Sandra June 28, 2010 at 7:55 AM  

I didn't know you could run such things through a printer...
More info Please! Thanks for sharing!

Jessica June 28, 2010 at 8:07 AM  

What a great idea. The fabric and flowers compliment each other nicely!

Rachel June 28, 2010 at 8:28 AM  

printing on fabric...genius!!!

Megan June 28, 2010 at 8:52 AM  

Erin, I love it! That looks great!

Tracy Martin June 28, 2010 at 9:09 AM  

Brilliant, simply brilliant!

Proper Prim June 28, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

Erin those are simply gorgeous. Please do tell more about printing on cloth... laser or ink jet? That is amazing I think you just discovered the next generation printer. Thanks of sharing.

Hugs, Deb

Ann @ makethebestofthings June 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

Your tray is gorgeous and the insert idea is genius! I especially like the printed "Welcome," very stylish.

Terrell June 28, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

WOW!! Such a fantastic idea!! You can change them up for any occassion! Love it!!
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

Unknown June 28, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

Oh my gosh. Get. Out. Of. Here.

That is the most clever little trick I've ever seen! You're one smart and crafty cookie : )

Have a great week, friend!
Love, Laura

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch June 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM  

I adore this! So love that you can switch it up for different occasions! How fun that you can add fall and holiday fabric at the end of the year! :)

Erin

Pati @ A Crafty Escape June 28, 2010 at 11:06 AM  

I thought the first one was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen until I saw the "welcome" one- WOW. Girlfriend you have do it again! I am in awe of your creativity and design ideas. Beautiful!

Unknown June 28, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

I LOVE your Blog and would like to give you an award!! Please come here to get it!!

http://coutureunraveled.blogspot.com

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple June 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

I love the fabric!! You ladies are amazing and so very talented and creative!!

Jennifer Juniper June 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

This is a really cute way to dress up a thrift store find. Great idea :)

Amy @ Positively Splendid June 28, 2010 at 9:53 PM  

What a simple, yet dynamic, idea! love this!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy June 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

This turned out so lovely! So many possibilities!

ificould June 29, 2010 at 4:05 AM  

So cute! I love how it is interchangable... and printing right on the fabric? genius!

Julie June 29, 2010 at 7:12 AM  

Really cute idea!

Cuscini June 29, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

Erin, do you know what you are? You're brilliant! Briliant, I tell you, just brilliant!

Thanks for the great idea -- I'm doing it. By the way, did I mention that you're brilliant?

Big "wave" from Cape Cod
Jude at
dolcecapecod dot blogspot.com

Annie Louise June 29, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

Oh my goodness, this is just wonderful!! Thank you so much for sharing this incredible project.
Jeanette

Hattie June 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

What a great idea! I really like both inserts. Now I'll be on the lookout for a similar tray@

Jenn @ Seeds on a Breeze June 30, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

Thank you for not covering that beautiful wood. What an inspiring project! I saw this on Someday Crafts and had to hop right over. This is definitely on my to-do list.

Get Nestled In June 30, 2010 at 7:02 PM  

So neat that your tray is interchangeable!! Super Idea!

cherry July 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

Cool, Cool, Super Cool !!
Happy 4th to you & yours
hugs from Savannah, Cherry

Madigan at madiganmade July 6, 2010 at 9:21 PM  

This is so clever. Need to try this idea!

Farah July 8, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

What a creative idea, really thanks for sharing, I start searching a try like this... its really great...

http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/

please check me there whenever you have time..Love

Playing Sublimely July 9, 2010 at 6:44 AM  

You girls are way fun...never met you before, but I am glad to have crossed paths with you today.
Amy

Julia July 9, 2010 at 6:51 AM  

What a sweet idea. I think that is so pretty. May have to try it out.

Inspired by you July 9, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

It looks great!

Moore Minutes July 9, 2010 at 9:55 PM  

Wow!! I completely want to get a tray and do this now. :) SUPER pretty idea.

Michelle L. July 10, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

Ooh! What a fantastic printing tip...I am sooo with you on celebrating no stenciling! This is kind-o-genius and I can't wait to try. Oh, and the tray (both versions - are so pretty!

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas July 11, 2010 at 1:14 AM  

Oh, how pretty! I love the "welcome" one.
Thank you for sharing!

shortmama July 11, 2010 at 5:45 PM  

Very cute!

Beth @ Wiccan Make Some Too November 1, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

Thanks for sharing this. I have the same type printer & now my brain si going a mile a minute. Loved your idea about the fabric insert.

Related Posts with Thumbnails